Friday, December 31, 2010

2010/2011 Whatever

Well, it's New Year's Eve, and I'm in bed sick as a dog. I woke up yesterday with a bad cold or something. Some horrible germ is spreading through my body. Whatever. It seems to be the perfect way to end my horrible year.


I see I have not posted since August. My mother declining has drained me of all the creative energy I usually have. I have not done a thing on my dissertation except to just think about how I haven't done anything. The last couple of years have been full of loss that has sent me into some sort of limboish state. It seems to be one loss after another. And working too many part-time jobs for hardly any money is killing me. I just can't seem to find one job that pays enough, so I keep ending up with too many part-time jobs that pay little, and leave me with no time to work on anything else. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm so behind in my tuition payments this semester that I'm seriously beginning to wonder if God's plan is for me to drop out of school. I just don't know.
And God doesn't seem to be giving me an answer.

I wish my mother lived closer to me, but that is not an option. I've got find a way to not think about (and worry about her) so much. Living with dementia is like living with a cancer or some such chronic disease. Each day a little piece is missing from both of you, and neither of you have any idea if tomorrow will come. You try to squeeze whatever and as much as you can into short phone conversations, and then you think about what was said in those conversations all day--every word and every voice inflection. You also start to question your own mortality and your own purpose. Heck, you question every single thing you ever believed in and still do believe in and whether what you believe in is really what you believe and if it ever was. You also realize who your kindred spirits are. As my grandmother use to say, you can count your real friends on one hand.


This has been one heck of a rotten year. Oh, hell, I'm going to just say it--it has been one heck of a rotten three years. And I feel as though 2011 will be the year I lose my mother, so I don't see it getting much better. I lost my mother's dear friend, Josephine, Thanksgiving week. She was 90. I loved that woman. She was such an inspiration. This is the beginning time of many unwelcomed changes.

I don't know much of anything anymore. But what I do know is that life is hard.


















7 comments:

  1. You mother in the pictures, looks so strong, and funny! I'm so sorry; I can feel your pain in your writing.

    It may seem awful, it is awful, but with death you have life. You have your own life to find happiness and peace. And life is short. Seeing my own dad struggle at the end of his life; I've come to the conclusion, no matter how long and how great a lifetime was, it is still too short.

    I love you, I think you're wonderful. You'll come from this, time in life, a stronger, wiser woman. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hope there is grace and peace, as more hard times come and go.

    love love love love love love love love,
    Livy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Thank you, Livy. You're such a sweetie. I wish we lived near each other. I would have fun hanging with kids and your dogs. I think I'll hide myself in your suitcase, and when you open it up in the Congo, I will pop out. ;)Instant babysitter. LOL

    My mother looks good in these pics. She keeps getting UTIs, which make her worse, but what are you going to do? Hmmm...The circle of life goes around and around and around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear MAM -
    I wish there was something I could do to encourage you. I understand the pain of loss and watching it happen can make you weary and discouraged. And I understand watching someone so dear and treasured deteriorate.
    Being sick with a bug is a temporary thing. You’ll feel better soon.
    I know I don’t know you at all but please don’t give up on your dissertation. In the long run, it is important. You have something valuable to contribute… I’m sure of that.
    If you ever want to talk to a stranger, just email me. I’d be glad to chat.
    I will be praying for you. Hang in there. I’m sending you a “cyber hug.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs-- going through it with my dad. He thinks if he can find a woman to marry him, it'll all be all right. Sigh.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that things are all so hard for you right now and for more than just the last little while. Life really can be hard and sad. Sometimes the only things that keep me going are my children and my Savior. I know that in the Garden of Gethsemane He felt every pain I feel so even if He is the only one, there is someone who understands my pain and loneliness. I know He knows yours too. I hope you have good surprises coming up for you in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just found your blog...I can so relate to where you are since I also was ABD in College Park, Maryland, back in the mid-90s, working temps and part-time jobs and then finally a FT of sorts running volunteers in arts management. My mom's health declined while I was in my doctoral program and I lost her just after I finished my coursework.
    Salvation came for me in the form of a sabbatical replacement job in PA...but now I have switched fields from teaching voice to directing Catholic music at a big parish here. Thank God, I am finally self-supporting...and he really brought me out to the place I am supposed to be. I am sure He'll do the same for you.
    A lovely blog, you are beautiful just like your mom, and you will get through. I hope you'll blog again soon and let us know how you are.
    Hugs...Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you , Sara. Since you posted this I tried to find a way to contact you but when I go to your profile you don't seem to have a blog of your own. I hope you see this and know that your post meant a lot to me. :) If you have a facebook page look me up at http://facebook.com/MaryAliceMoore

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Maybe I'll even talk back to you.:)