Monday, January 18, 2010

Yep. Yep. Yep. And Priceless Memories

Yep. Yep. Yep.



And I'm not even getting a stipend.



Yep. Yep. Yep.



This calls for drastic measures--





Ahh, I'm in such a funk and wondering why I'm even bothering trying to do my dissertation. It looks like I might have to keep my night-time teaching job afterall. I have no idea how I will make it financially without it unless something gives soon on another job. On the other hand, if I keep three jobs I will not have time to do my dissertation. And the thought of starting up another semester with such a hectic schedule is making me hyperventilate and break out in sweats. This is not good.




And watching Haiti suffer from the devastation of the earthquake is making me feel like why the hell should this even matter. I could be dead tomorrow. Those poor people. I wish I had a job that took me to places that need help. l filled out a form with MercyShips to volunteer in Haiti sometime over the next two years. They have a category for writers and teachers. Chances are I will not even be able to go. My bad back will probably disqualify me. But I often have this desire to just chuck all this *&^$ and go live among the poor and make a difference in this world.




Now, if I could get a full-time job teaching my ESL students doing the same thing I do now I could be satisfied. However, adjuncting is not enough to live on and there's no security. But I do love it. If I didn't have a dissertation to worry about, working three jobs would be no problem. Dang this dissertating!




On another note, I have a little update on my homeless buddy Howard. Not only did he get a new bright and shiny red winter parka but he also got another coat. I saw my friend at church--you know--the one I asked to help Howard out at Christmas time. I said, "Did you have something to do with Howard's new red coat?" He said, "No, I gave him a green one! I don't know where mine went." I said, "I bet the green one is under the red one. Howard is looking pretty bulked up." We laughed. Then a few days later it was warmer out, and I stopped to talk to Howard. He had his red coat unzipped and sure enough there was the green jacket under the red coat. LOL. :) Good for Howard.




I had a "meeting" with another homeless person this past week. A lady was standing in the foyer of the church. I was taking one of the poinsettas that the church was getting rid of. This lady was watching me. She quietly came over to me and shyly said, "I'm staying at the House of Ruth and I missed lunch. Can you help me?" Hmmm. The House of Ruth is for homeless and abused women. Now, I grew up in the city and am not naive when it comes to "street" people. I know when one is sincere and when one is conning me. I make it a rule to never give money. The good thing is I never carry cash so I'm not lying when I say I have no money. :) This lady was different than most I see. I smiled at her and wished her luck and gave her some pointers on who to get help from. She nicely thanked me. I went back to picking out which poinsetta I wanted. I heard the lady come back my way. She said, "Excuse me. I want you to have this. I'm not catholic." I turned around and she handed me a rosary. She was holding a pocket bible in her other hand. She said she didn't know what the rosary was but knew it was for catholics. I said, "Oh, no, you keep it. I want you to keep it." I slipped it back in her pocket. She said, "But I'm not Catholic." I said, "That doesn't matter. You can be any religion. Keep it with you at all times. It'll help you." She took the rosary out if it's pouch. It was made of beautiful red crystal. She said, "Is it okay if I wear it as my cross?" Normally, you do'nt wear a rosary around your neck but I said, "Of course you can." She smiled a huge smile. I thought, Jesus's mother must be smiling too. I know I was. This lady warmed my heart. At the bottom of the church steps we parted ways. She yelled after me, "Thank you. God bless you. You have a good day." She has been in mind ever since.




Here's a couple of pics from when i went to Bosnia ten years ago. We gave out food to refugees on Thanksgiving day.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Maybe I'll even talk back to you.:)